Thursday, January 11, 2007

Quotes, Unquotes and Quotes

Have you ever noticed how perfectly a quote from a famous person or historical figure can capture so exactly what you are thinking or feeling at any particular given point in time? The words of others, especially those of people we respect and admire, can inspire you. They can give you comfort that somebody else is feeling what you’re feeling. They can make you feel less alone in this great big world.

So, here for your quick consumption, are a few famous quotes that capture what I’ve been thinking, been feeling or been encountering over the past several days:

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."
-- Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)

"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again."
-- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

"Acting is the most minor of gifts and not a very high-class way to earn a living. After all, Shirley Temple could do it at the age of four."
-- Katharine Hepburn (1907 - 2003)

"The wine urges me on, the bewitching wine, which sets even a wise man to singing and to laughing gently and rouses him up to dance and brings forth words which were better unspoken."
-- Homer (800 BC - 700 BC)

"I drink too much. Other people learn things when I drink. Last night a limo driver learned if I say I’ve gotta yak, it doesn’t mean I have a long-haired buffalo living in my backyard."
-- Ron White (1956 - )

No comments: