Thursday, January 04, 2007

All-Star Dead Guys Rock Band

We as a society are just in love with lists. Myself included. One of my favorite books as a kid was The Book of Lists. I just love putting a list together.

I bring this up only because I was asked one of those great bar questions a little while back. Of all the great musicians who have died, who would make the best rock band? Y'know, what guys are up in heaven just jammin' away? I debated some of the great musicians who I admire -- Joplin and Hendrix, for example -- but decided that I would post what I thought would make the best band. So, with YouTube links, here we go ...

Freddie Mercury, Vocals, Queen
September 5, 1946 – November 24, 1991



Randy Rhoads, Guitar, Ozzy Osbourne
December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982



Cliff Burton, Bass, Metallica
February 10, 1962 – September 27, 1986



Eric Carr, Drums, Kiss
July 12, 1950 - November 24, 1991


What a sad day November 24, 1991 was ... both Freddie Mercury and Eric Carr passed away on that day.

So, there's my "All-Star Dead Guys Rock Band" -- would love to hear your opinions.

1 comment:

Anthropolochic said...

Not bad, not bad...my dream band

Otis Redding/Marvin Gaye - Vocals

Back up - Florence Ballard, David Ruffin, Eva Cassidy

Keyboards - Ray Charles

Guitarist - ummm...I want to say Jimi Hendrix...but I feel like there is a need here for smoothness as well...so Lenny Breau as alternate

Horns - well...the problem here is...so far everyone I've listed is a virtuoso....so I'm racking my brain for great studio musicians...my 17 year old self would have had an immediate answer...my 31 year old self is thinking I forgot something I was supposed to do this morning.

ok...so that's it for the time being...they would have a very peculiar sound, but I'm happy with my super band.