Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Future = Bright; Past = Get Over It

So I’ve been fighting an upper respiratory infection for the past several days and quite frankly have been just too tired (read: lazy) to update this blog. It’s weird that I’ve been in fairly solid health throughout a cold and bitter winter just to find myself in really bad shape come April. Ahhh … well.

So the theme to today’s entry will be how bright (at least in terms of creativity) things are looking and how proud I am of fellow performers and artists. Indeed, this is a good time to be part of the Baby Hippo family … as you can tell if you’ve paid a visit to the slightly re-vamped website. This theme can be contrasted with how some folks will make absolute imbeciles of themselves because they want attention. But first, let’s take a look at the bright side of life …

My Pals the Filmmakers

A little over a week ago my buddy JB finished work on his short film “Fatal Isolation.” After working for months on the project, shooting it and really more or less teaching himself to become a first-rate filmmaker he came over to borrow my computer and nifty editing software. The final product is pretty damn amazing … and you can check it out here.



Additionally, a film I shot way back in the summer of ’05 found distribution this month. It’s a serious accomplishment to complete, from script to finished product, a full-length film. So, my most heartfelt congratulations to Manny as well.

It’s good to acknowledge the accomplishments of others … and JB and Manny accomplished something that thousands of others have tried and failed.

King the Stand-Up

So last Friday (the 13th, no less) I made what I have to consider my stand-up debut. Yeah, sure, I’ve done a bit here and there, but for the first time I did something along the lines of a full set on the bill with some great comics. I walked out of Casa Spain (a great venue out past Dover, NJ) pumped and rejuvenated.

For the first time in my performing life (which, ironically, pretty much corresponds with my “life life”) I felt like I could seriously consider myself a comic.

Was it perfect? No. It was like starting all over again. I learned more in that 10 or 12 minutes than I had learned performing anything in the past decade or so. It was like a re-birth of sorts. A whole new playground has been opened up to me. And I couldn’t be more excited. Big thanks to Laz for the opportunity!

The Broken Jump

Newsflash! My latest play has been accepted as part of the Midtown International Theatre Festival in New York this coming July. Needless to say, it’s time for the return of the Talented Talent Brothers! More on this to follow …

... the remainder of this post was removed 5/15/07.

No comments: