Monday, August 28, 2006

Something Or Another About Doors

When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell

I hate endings. It seems that lately all manner of chapters in my life have come to an end and I’m left mourning what is lost. To make matters worse, change in one’s life requires effort. I hate effort too. I like when things are handed to me and I get to feign surprise ... it doesn’t happen very often, but I like it.

The next chapter coming to an end appears to be my living arrangements. In many ways, this is self-induced. I’ve been living comfortably above my means for several years now and my new motto is “simplify.” So I’ll be moving very soon. I am fortunate, though, in that I found a awesome (albeit small) little railroad flat not far away that I really like. It will require me to get rid of a ton of stuff I’ve accumulated over the years (I never realized what a freaking pack-rat I’ve become), but in some ways that is refreshing. It’ll be a different life and a different lifestyle ... but one that will be much easier on the pocketbook. The best thing about this place is the magnificent view of Manhattan. The worst thing is that I just can’t imagine how I’m going to get my couch up there. The timing sucks ... really, really sucks! More news on the move soon. Gonna put down a deposit on the place tomorrow ... then try and figure out how I'm gonna get all my crap into either storage, the garbage or to the new place.

The most recent chapter to come to an end is, of course, the four week run of Weasel Erotica. I’m proud to say that we had a ton of fun and that the show really drew some very good sized audiences (with a couple of near sell-outs ... man it sure beat out all those performances of Abnormal Stew for a half-dozen people) and certainly did wonders in terms of elevating and tightening the Talented Talent Brothers. The act will go through another growth and evolution and I find that extremely exciting. But while I listened to other actors talk about their respective next projects and such all I could think was, “man, I need a break.” So a break I shall have. It’s time that some of those things I’ve neglected for so long get some attention ... y’know, the mundane things like my health, my happiness, my Mets and cable television.

I need to spend more time throwing at a backstop.

That doesn’t mean that things really slow down at all for the Baby Hippopotamus. Quite the contrary ... my one-man show is developing nicely and is on track for debut performances this winter. I’m tweaking a script that will likely be the next Talent Brother vehicle and I’m looking into producing a handful of other options. After a few weeks of “Weasel-Detox” I’ll probably pick Gary and Weezie up and the three of us will collectively decide what to do next with our madcap little show. I can promise you one thing ... you haven’t heard the last from these weasels.

If you haven’t gathered it yet, I’m the kind of guy who never loses sight of his dreams. I just frequently get aggravated that the fight takes so much energy, so much dedication, so much of your heart and soul. Getting motivated is easy ... getting re-motivated is always the challenge.

Obsessive, compulsive, suffocate your mind;
Confusion, delusions, kill your dreams in time;
You ask me how I took the pain;
Crawled up from my lowest low;
Step by step and day by day;
'Til there's one last breath to go
– Paul Stanley, “Live To Win”

Amazing ... a blog entry that was really supposed to be about how exhausted I am has become a laundry list of the creative plates I’m trying to keep spinning.

1 comment:

SabilaK said...

I'm so sorry I missed Weasel Erotica! I thought about attending several times but something always came up.